Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Businessman

Finally the long cherished dream of Sameer has come true. Sameer, a Civil Engineer and an MBA from a premier B-school of India, had the dream of starting his own business. Years of hard work and focus have finally borne fruit and just last week he has successfully launched his computer hardware manufacturing business with the inauguration of a small factory and a 800 sq. ft. office.

“I need to draw up a long-term strategy plan for Business Development”, he thought as he left his flat for office.

“Three clients, though big and confirmed, will take me nowhere,” “I need to bring in more clients asap.”

The huge traffic rush of the peak hour provided him some more time to think, “If I can get hold of a couple of medium sized clients, the company will break even in six months time.” “The investors have shown huge faith in my business plan and if I show a good ROI over the next two years, I will be able to bring in a lot more investment to shift up the business. In five years time, I will compete with Microtek and Ahuja.” “Then I will show the world, the spirit of a true entrepreneur.”

As he parked the car outside his office, he saw the interior constructors going in. The finishing touches are still going on in the office. His personal cabin is also not ready yet and as such he is using one of the tables in the main working area.

“Good morning Sameer sir,” said the receptionist, as he entered.

“Morning Neha,” he smiled back.

As he reached his table and started taking out his laptop, he saw a gentleman has come into the office and is talking with the receptionist. A neatly dressed middle aged man, with an attaché in one hand.

“Who that might be?” thought Sameer. “Holy shit!” he remembered in a flash, “He must be the prospect Aslam had talked of.”

Aslam is his old friend and works with a much larger firm in the computer hardware industry. He had promised to provide Sameer with some leads.

As he sat down and opened his laptop he saw the man coming towards him.

“Must bait the fish at all costs,” he thought to himself.

“A very good idea to make an impression,” he grinned in his mind.

He promptly picked up the telephone handset, pressed some random numbers and started talking in a bit louder voice.

“Yes, Mr. Brown, don’t worry a bit about the consignment. Its all set to go.” “No, I will be reaching LA on 28th of this month. Oh, what?” “The Senator wants to meet me?” “I am afraid I will not be able to meet him this time.” “I have a 15 million dollar deal to fix with Neosoft, you see.”

At this point, the man reached Sameer’s table. Sameer continued talking in the phone as he waved his hand and pointed the man towards one of the chairs.

“Yes, the Microsoft deal is already finalized.” “Yes, yes, don’t worry.” “You see, in another six months time, my company will reach the number one spot in the Indian computer hardware industry.” “Yeah, sure sure, don’t worry, don’t worry. Bye Mr. Brown.”

Finally satisfied that he has successfully created a great impression, he put down the phone.
Now, looking at the man, he said with a confident smile, “Yes Sir, what can I do for you?”
With a confused look on the face the man said, “Nothing Sir! I have come to activate your phone line!”

No comments:

Post a Comment